Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?

Oftentimes, as teachers, we hear kids lament,"Why do we have to do this?" It has long been my opinion that this question deserves an answer. Indeed, I believe that most effective lessons or units of study answer this question before it's even asked. Students need to understand and deserve to understand the purpose of a lesson. In my opinion, sharing this information not only shows respect for students, but it also serves as a source of motivation.

My sixth graders just finished reading "The Chameleon", a reader's theatre text that appeared in READ magazine. Initially, students read the text and coded their thinking (post-its) to enhance comprehension and enable them to participate in post-reading discussion. Next, my plan was to have the students perform this piece as a "reader's theatre". However, I wanted to encourage each of them to practice thier part and also set up a situation where they could assess and help each other improve their fluency.

Although it took more time than I expected (doesn't it always?) today we discussed the components of fluency. I gave each student the rubric they will use when they assess one another. Then, I modeled by reading aloud and asking the students to assess my smoothness, accuracy, and expression. They loved it! Finally, I explained to the students the important link between fluency and comprehension. Yes - Research proves that fluency practice enhances comprehension. It's almost magical! How can practicing one piece of text help one understand and become more fluent when reading different texts? When I posed this question to my sixth graders, they came up with some wonderful (and accurate responses). Although we didn't have a chance to actually begin practicing individual parts, I sent students home with copies of the play and confidence that they were motivated to read through their assigned parts several times on their own. Yes, I am by nature optimistic, but I do believe that understanding the benefits of fluency practice will give these kids the boost they need to motivate themselves. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment